Level 1 Final Challenge: A set of masculine cards and a set of feminine cards

 Hello!  Boy have I been busy!  I am so pleased to have finished my final project for AECP!  That was so much fun... I can't wait to get started on level 2!

The assignment was to complete 2 sets of cards... one for 'Him" and one for "Her".  (I am only showing the "Him" cards here.)  I needed to choose 3 techniques from the classes I had taken during this course and apply them to the cards.  (There is no chance that I could actually ever limit myself to 3 techniques when there was so much information given during the classes!)  I also had to use a recycled item for my packaging element.  That was stressful in the beginning, but then I had fun creating the package in the end.  



The elements that I focused on the the masculine cards included Irresistible Inking Techniques, Seasonal Scene Building, For the Guys, Let it Shine, and Celebration Stenciling.  There are other techniques included as well, but I will touch on those later.

In order to make the cards a cohesive collection, I used all the same inks and dies.  Because I had used the same color inks for the feminine cards, I used those same colors to show that they can also be used as masculine cards.  I started thinking this way because I had to make a card for my brother in law, and purple and green are his favorite colors, so I thought it would be interesting to make an entire set using these colors. 

  • Pistachio
  • Misty Sage
  • Mossy Meadow
  • Green Opal
  • Pale Mauve
  • Amethyst
  • Grape Agate
  • Plum
  • Jet Black

Card 1


I started by ink blending the white card stock with a variety of green inks.  I then made a stencil using the Garden Trellis Cover Die.  I cut the stencil to make more of a jagged edge for the border of my card.  I taped the edges of the "stencil" onto my card stock so the edges would not get covered with paste.


I added a bit of Misty Sage Fresh Dye Ink onto my glass mat and mixed it with a little bit of Embossing Paste to make a light green mixture.  I then applied a very light layer over the stencil onto my card stock.  I had to let it dry for a couple of hours (I'm not a very patient person, so this was hard for me!). I actually liked the look of the stencil with the embossing paste on it, so I saved it for another project.

While waiting for the paste to dry, I planned out my design. I added the sentiment from the Time To Celebrate stamp set using my Stamp Wheel so that I could get a perfect impression.  I stamped 2 or 3 times to ensure the ink was dark enough for my liking.  (If I haven't mentioned it before... I LOVE my stamp wheel!!!)

I cut out the leaves from the Altenew Leaf Mix Die Set using scraps inked with the "purple" and green inks, as well as some from gold mirror card stock, and black card stock.  I stacked these together to make different leaves.  I then attached the leaves to the stenciled edge with glue on one layer, and foam tape on the others to add dimension.

 The black dots are from the Halftones Cover Die Set.   I love using these as embellishments on my cards because they are all different sizes and do not add extra dimension. 


Tip: Save the scraps from your die cuts!  They can become great embellishments at no extra cost!! I have these dots in many different colors to be used as I need them! (I also saved the squares from this project to be used again in another project!)


This shows a little bit of the texture of the stencil.

Techniques used:
Ombre ink blending (Irresistible Inking Techniques and All About Layering 4)
Use die cuts as stencils (Easy Die Cutting Techniques and Celebration Stencil Techniques)
Use texture paste in a stencil (Celebration Stencil Techniques)
Adding shiny paper to a project (Let it Shine)

Card 2


This one took just a little bit of planning.  I love the Raised Sentiments 3D Embossing Folder and wanted to find a way to use this in my project.  I began by running black card stock in the folder through my die cutting machine.  Then I cut the strips so that I could have them each "float" on the card. Cutting the strips (with another sentiment strip die) caused the words to flatten a bit.  I was ok with that for the 4 strips, but I wanted the "Happy Birthday" to stand out, so I ran that back through the machine by taping the strip back into place and running it through again. 


Then I very lightly ran white pigment ink over the letters and attached the strips to the card stock with foam tape.  (I love the foam tape that Altenew has which is the Perfect width for sentiments!!)  I used a T-ruler to be sure my sentiments were adhered straight... who wants crooked sentiments??

I added Plum Fresh Dye ink directly to a scrap piece of white card stock so that it would have a dark color.  I cut the background leaf from the plum, and then did the same with the Green Opal and Misty Sage for the detail part of the leaf.  I attached them with liquid glue, cut the others from gold mirror card stock, and attached to the card front.  I also added a frame border for added interest, and finished off with the gold mirror dots from the Halftones Cover Die Set.  

So, for this card I used the following techniques:
Ink to Paper (Irresistible Inking Techniques)
Add a frame/border (Seasonal Scene Building)
Use foam adhesive for dimension (Seasonal Scene Building)
Gold accents (Let it Shine)



Tip:  When using embossing folders, don't be afraid to run it through again if it becomes flattened during your work.  Just tape it back into place (You will feel it "lock in" where it had been in place the first time.  A bit of tape on the edges to hold it in place will give a clean embossed look.

Card 3


OK.  So this one is not the most masculine, but I know my brother in law would love it, so...

I used the Halftones Cover Die set again, but this time I used it to emboss my card stock.  I followed the manufacturers directions on my machine and ran it through with the silicone mat to make an impression without cutting the card stock. I love this look!!  I then used the "purple" inks to blend over the embossed image, keeping it darker on the diagonal corners and lighter in the middle.  I attache the card stock to a layer of black card stock for a nice border, then added a thin (scrap) of green ink blended card stock to the panel, followed by a hot foiled sentiment.  

I used a small ink blending brush to add ink to some of the negative pieces of the leaf die cut and added them back into the leaf to add color and texture.  I finished off with another leaf cut from gold mirror card stock, and of course the dots from the Halftone Cover Die set.  (Wow!  I am getting a lot of use out of this set!!!)


Tip: Play with the products you already own! Find different ways to use them.  How many different ideas can you come up with for the same set of dies?

The techniques I used for this include:
Inlay die cutting (Simple Die Cutting)
Using a Die to emboss (Simple Die Cutting)
Ombre effect ink blending (Irresistible Inking Techniques)
Using gold mirror card (Let it Shine)

Card 4

Here is a fun, interactive card!


Isn't it a great thing when you receive a free gift from Altenew??  And isn't it even better when that free gift fits PERFECTLY with your Level 1 Final Project???  I used the Brilliant Waves Background Stencil (my free gift) as the back ground for my shaker card.  I applied the ink using different sized blending brushes.  (I think I need some of that temporary glue to hold the stencil in place!). I had to hold the middle with my fingers to keep it from moving.  The edges were held in place very nicely with the help from my sticky mat, but the middle was a little bit tougher... but I made it work!

I then die cut the frame 5 times to make it thick enough to hold the sequins.  I stacked 4 of the frames together, then added the vellum layer to the top of that, and the final frame on the top of all those layers.  


I did this next step backwards or upside down...

I added the black and gold sequins into the middle of the panel, and then realized it would be difficult to add the card base onto that, BUT... I realized I need to use the tools that I have!!  I put the vellum shaker part onto the middle of my sticky mat to hold it in place while I added the background layer to the back.  I added the background using the guides on my mat, stuck the 2 together with liquid glue, and when I turned it over it was perfectly placed! And BONUS... the sequins actually shake!!

Tip: When making a shaker card, be sure to use enough layers (or foam tape) on your frame to build up the edges that your sequins can move. Also use an embossing buddy around the edges so the sequins don't get caught in the glue.

The leaves were made with leftover scraps from card #5.  I ink blended over the marks that were there to smooth out the look.  I attached the gold mirror card stock leaf to a black card stock leaf as a shadow. I had to play around for a bit to get just the right look.  A black leaf was too much, but without the black it wasn't quite right... so I added it as a shadow.  Perfect solution!

I attached a twine bow in the corner to add a more masculine feature (the twine... not the bow:)  I held it in place with my reverse tweezers while the glue was drying and attached a few gold sequins to the outside of the card as well.  I always try to attach embellishments in odd numbers, different sizes, and in a triangular fashion for visual interest.  The sentiment was hot foiled and added to the front with foam tape.



The techniques I used were:
Make a shaker card (For the Guys and Seasonal Scene Building)
Ink to paper (Ink Blending Techniques)
Build backgrounds (Seasonal Scene Building)
Gold mirror card stock and sequins (Let it Shine)

Card 5


I think this one may have used the most techniques, but it is still one of the simpler ones.

I started off by swiping the green inks across the card stock panel.  (This panel was cut to 3 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches.  I attached that to a slightly larger black card stock panel.

On another piece of card stock I gently swiped my green inks randomly over the card stock to make a textured looking paper for my leaves. (This was the scrap paper mentioned in card #4)


When the card stock was covered, I cut out the leaves from the Leaf Mix Die Set and from black card stock.  I attached the leaves to the black background leaves and set them aside to dry.  (I put my acrylic block on top of items that are drying to be sure there is constant pressure while drying)

Then I realized the panel was a little too small for my card base, so I took another sheet of card stock and began randomly inking leaves from the Altenew Primrose Stamp set around the edges.  (I only stamped the edges because I knew the middle would be covered.)  I used Pistachio and Misty Sage and only 2 of the leaf stamps from the set to keep it clean and simple.  (I chose these stamps because they are roughly the same shape as the die cut leaves)


I attached the black card base to the background panel, then added the white and green swiped card panel on top.  Then I removed the swiped panel because I realized I wanted to add twine around it, so I wrapped the twine around a few times and tied a knot.  (It isn't easy to tie a knot around card stock, but I have a trick...


Tip: I use my reverse tweezers as a third hand to hold my twine while I tie it! (I also put a dab of liquid glue on the knot to keep it in place, and hold the twine with the tweezers while the glue dries.)

Then I re-attached it to the black card stock panel, and attached the leaves with liquid glue and foam tape.
Last but not least is the stamped sentiment and the gold dot embellishments.  Even masculine cards need some kind of sparkle!


Techniques:
Ink to Paper (Irresistible Inking Techniques)
Building backgrounds (Seasonal Scene Building)
Use only 2 images from the layering stamp set (All About Layering)
Add twine and sequins (Let it Shine)


Card 6

Last but not least...


I wanted to include one that was very simple, but still showing the techniques I learned in class.  
For this one I inked up my acrylic block with Green Onyx Crisp Dye Ink, sprayed it lightly with water, and applied it to my white card stock.  How easy is that??  Instant background!

I hot foiled the sentiment directly onto the panel with gold foil.

I cut leaves from a shiny black card stock, gold mirror card stock, and white card stock and attached them to the panel with liquid glue.  I added black dots around the sentiment and a gold sequin to the bottom of the leaves to tie it all together.  Again the dots are arranged in an odd number and in a triangular form.  The white card stock was attached to a slightly larger piece of black card stock (it was the sheet that I had cut the leaves from... nobody will ever know there are pieces missing!) and all were attached to the card base.


Techniques:
Stamp Block Inking (Irresistible Inking Techniques)
Hot foiling (Let it Shine)
Fancy card stock (Let it Shine)

For the Packaging



For the packaging I had to look for a while to come up with the right  recyclable material.  Once I started looking I had so many ideas, but I decided on this one.

I had some red rubber stamp sets from Stampin Up that someone had given me.  They were all neatly packaged in their own containers, but I rarely use them. So... I took out 2 sets (I still have the stamps!) and made the plastic containers into my packaging for the card sets.  They are the perfect size!


I first wrapped some green ribbon around the base of the container (attaching with a hot glue gun) to cover up any remaining labels that didn't want to come off. Then I cut card stock to cover the top of the container and attached that with liquid glue.  When I looked inside, I realized I could see the glue through the lid of the container, so I added another piece on the inside. 


I added a leftover black frame to the panel, then I made a small envelope to house the greeting tag and a few leaves to match the cards in the set. 

I ink blended a bit of Tim Holtz' Vintage Photo distress ink onto the envelope to get rid of the stark white of the card stock.  I then ink blended some Plum ink onto white card stock scraps and cut out the leaf backgrounds.  I finished by cutting the detail leaves from shiny black card stock and attaching to the black leaves.  I then tucked 2 of the leaves inside the envelope, attaching with glue, and one was added to the outside.  I then added a gold mirrored leaf and some gold dots to the envelope. 

For the tag I cut the tag from shiny black card stock, then cut a smaller piece of white card stock to just fit inside the tag, leaving a tiny black border.   I inked that with the vintage photo ink and attached to the tag.  I then stamped the sentiment from the "Time to Celebrate" stamp set with black ink.  I added a twine ribbon to the tag, and tucked it inside the envelope.  It is not attached, so a handwritten note can be added to it before giving it to the recipient.  


Could this be a sneak peek of what's to come on the "for her" blog post?

I really hope you enjoyed my cards as much as I enjoyed making them.  

I think the "take-aways" that I got from taking the level one classes are as follows:
Take your time
Plan ahead
Don't be afraid to try new techniques
Use the materials you have
Have fun!!


                                                                                      

Moving on... These cards are for "her".

I used the exact same colors for  "Her" as I did for "Him", but rather than black accents, I tried to stay more with white accents for a softer feel.


For this part of the challenge I chose to use techniques from All About Layering 3 and 4, Celebration Stencil Techniques, Simple Die Cutting, Seasonal Scene Building, Irresistible Inking Techniques... well, really I think I used them all!

Card 1



For the first card I used one of my favorite stamp sets from Altenew.  These flowers are just gorgeous! This is the Build A Flower: Larkspur set... so lovely!

I began by ink blending my background panel from lightest to darkest inks.  

Tip:  When ink blending, I start with the lightest color.  I then go to the next darker color, repeat with the lighter to get a good blend, and continue up the paper, always going back to the previous color to ensure even blending and no harsh lines.

I then splattered the card stock with drops of Altenew Gold Ink Spray for added texture.  It isn't very noticeable, but adds just a touch of shine.

I stamped my images onto white card stock using my stamp wheel.  I was sure to use a piece of card stock large enough to be able to rotate the wheel and stamp multiple images all at once.  I stamped 3 of the larkspur and plenty of leaves so that I could arrange them on my card.

I used one of the techniques from the Layering Class to build the flower without using all of the layering stamps.  I only used 3 from the set, then added the 4th using white embossing powder for the finest details. 

I positioned my flowers in a triangular look on my card, keeping 2 flowers together as a group, and adding the third towards the top on it's own.  I think it is more visually pleasing to have them separated, especially with the large sentiment.  I added the leaves (seven to keep the number odd) around the flowers to make it visually pleasing.  Whatever was hanging off the edges was cut off and discarded.  (Sometimes I use the cut off pieces to fill in the arrangement, but it wasn't necessary here.)

I added a sentiment from the Timeless Sentiments Die Set.  Normally I add black (or dark) sentiments, but this one stayed white to keep it more feminine looking.  I used a glitter pen to add sparkle to the words and also to some of the flower petals. 

I added Ranger liquid pearls to the centers of the flowers for dimension, and finished with Altenew Gem Sparkles.


Techniques used:
Ombre ink blended background (Irresistible Inking Techniques)
Layering dies using less than intended (All About Layering 4)
Adding odd numbers of flowers and leaves (All About Layering 3)
Add flowers and leaves to edges and trim off what hangs over (All About Layering 3)
Adding glitter drops (Let it Shine)

Card 2


This one is full of shine!

I made my own stencil using the Altenew Garden Trellis Cover Die.  This time I used the entire die as the stencil.  (You can see where a few of the squares did not cut out entirely.  I could have gone in with my scissors to cut them out, but I liked the imperfections.)  I used a small amount of Altenew Pearl Shimmer Relief Paste over the stencil and removed it immediately so nothing would stick to the card panel.  The shine is absolutely incredible!!


You can see here the ones that did not come out completely... but I think it worked and added extra interest to the background. (The other colors were for a different card.

Tip: Notice the squares in the container... I keep those for future use!  I have many tiny containers for all my leftovers!

I stamped the image of the Bougainvillea onto white card stock with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder for the detail lines.  (I just love watching the heat tool melt that embossing powder... there is something magical about that!)  Then I ink blended using the coordinating stencil.  OMG!!!  I love this set, too!!


There are so many color options for this set!

Anyway, once my background had dried and I was finished with the stamping I added my leaves to the card front.  Before I attached the panel to the card base, I decided to add the sentiment on a vellum strip to add a touch more femininity to the card.  I heat embossed the sentiment with white embossing powder.  The strip was attached to the back side of the panel so that the glue doesn't show through the vellum.  After that was secure, I added it to the larger plum inked card base, then attached all of it to the card base.  A few Altenew Enamel Dots were added, and that finished off the card.  


Techniques used:
Create a stencil using die cuts (Simple Die Cutting)
Stencil with a paste for added texture (Celebration Stenciling Techniques)
 Heat Embossing (Let it Shine)

Tip: Try different color schemes with your products... especially when there is a stencil! There are so many options!!

Card 3



This one I will admit I started without a plan.  (Often I have a plan and it goes out the window, but this time there wasn't even a plan!)

I started by inking the flowers from the Primrose stamp set.  They are so pretty!  I inked multiple flowers using my acrylic block rather than the stamp wheel this time because these are really simple to line up.  I also inked up some of the leaves.  OK.  Now I had a pile of flowers and leaves.  Hmmm...

Let's make a background.  I used one of the flower outline stamps to stamp randomly on my colored card stock.  I then used a clear embossing powder to add just a little shine to the images.  After heat setting that, I started to place my images where I wanted them.  All good, but am I really using any new techniques?  So I cut the leaves out of the colored card stock where I was going to place them on top.  I then pieced the green leaves into the spaces where I had cut out leaves from the colored card stock.  (Paper piecing at its finest).  I used extra leaves for the next layer and added them with liquid glue, then I added the flowers with different thicknesses of foam tape for added dimension.  I also looked through my dies for the centers of flowers that might work here.  I found these in one of the layering die sets, but unfortunately now I'm not sure which one.  The birthday sentiments were left over from another card, so I added them with foam tape. 


Tip:  Mix and match your supplies to create all new looks! I added the centers from a layering die set to a flat floral image to create some dimension.



The detail dots in the center of the flowers are made from using the circles that were cut out from this Halftone Cover Die Set... It's my favorite tip!! In this case I used some silver dots that were left over.

I looked at this card for days and thought there was something missing.  At just the right moment, I received new Altenew Happy Mail and found the painted butterflies dies! (I already owned the stamps).  I stamped one of the butterflies onto vellum to add to the project.  That didn't do it. It blended in too much with the background, so I added a white layer underneath the vellum layer, and now it's perfect!  A little bit of black sparkle along the body was all it needed to complete the card.

Not too bad for a card that originated from no plan...


Techniques used:
Embossing (Let it Shine)
Layering Stamps (All About Layering 3)
Die Cutting vellum (Simple Die Cutting Techniques)
Paper Piecing (Simple Die Cutting Techniques)

Card 4


This one is daintier than it looks.  I started by inking flowers from the Altenew Vintage Flowers set along the edges of a white card stock panel.  I used the layering dies to create the beautiful images, then created a mask (by inking onto a sticky note and cutting it out).  I covered the rose images with the mask and stamped the leaves around that, and added the small flowers.  So pretty!  I also added very light leaf outlines (using Pistachio ink) all over to create a fuller background. 

I used an old embossing folder to add the look of linen to the flowered base. I think that subtle texture adds just the right amount of interest. 
 Then I cut the middle out of the card using an old nesting set that I had in my stash.  I used the larger die to cut another panel from black card stock.  Nope.  I didn't like that, so I cut again from white. Better!  I layered the 2 together and attached them to the card panel.  Now I needed a focal point.  I used the Floral Fantasy Layering Stamps and Dies to create the rose for the top.  I layered the bottom layers with ink, but the top layer just felt lost, so I used clear embossing powder and heat set the top layer.  Now it looks like velvet!  Its gorgeous! (OK... Being completely honest it's not lined up exactly right, but I like it anyway!)



I inked the laves using an ink dauber and 2 different green inks.  I used a lighter green on the outside of the leaves, and dabbed a darker green on the inside.  I love the two tone look!

I added a sentiment from my new One-Go Birthday Greetings inked in Green Opal ink, and added some pearl embellishments.


Techniques used:
Layering Stamps (All About Layering 3)
Add soft colored ink to card base (All About Layering 3)
Build backgrounds (Seasonal Scene Building)
Add borders and die cuts (Seasonal Scene Building) 
Adding heat embossing (Let it Shine)

Card 5


This is my favorite!

I absolutely love the softness of this card! It is delicate and pretty and I just love it!

I started by making the background using a background die to emboss.  It looks like a simple old quilt... don't you think?


I followed the directions on my machine to emboss using a die, and the results ere fantastic!  I love that soft look!

I then used the Primrose Layering Stamps again and made more flowers.  They are perfect for a delicate card.  I only used 6 (Oh no! I may have broken the rule of odds!!) but putting them in different numbers of clusters makes it work..  Now I have 3 clusters, so it's still an odd number.  I did not use the detail stamps on this card... I wanted it to look more care free and airy, and I did the same with the leaves.  I attached the leaves to the card base with liquid glue, the added the flowers with foam tape.  Whatever hung off the edges was snipped off and discarded. 

It needed something more.  Maybe a beautiful, delicate butterfly would be just the right thing.


I heat embossed a butterfly from the Marigold Butterfly set with white embossing powder, and cut it using the coordinating die.  It is gorgeous!  It looks like it was made of lace to go with that old quilt!  I attached the butterfly with a tiny piece of foam tape just behind it's body... nothing behind the wings... I want them to be able to flutter!

Tip: When heating vellum, be sure to let your heat tool get hot before applying it to your vellum to keep the vellum from warping! I usually begin on the back side and end on the front for a more even heat. 

Lastly I attached a heat embossed sentiment as well as some little black jewels in the centers of the flowers.


Gorgeous, if I do say so myself!

Techniques used:
Using a die to emboss (Simple Die Cutting)
Layering without all the layers (All About Layering 3)
Building Dimension (Seasonal Scene Building)
Die cutting vellum (Simple Die Cutting)

Card 6


This one is another that I wanted to just keep clean and simple.  Again... so grateful for my recent delivery that made it possible!

I used a plain white card stock as my base.  I embossed lines on the edges with my scoring tool and bone folder.  I stamped (using the Painted Butterflies stamp set) a line of butterflies in a diagonal direction across the card stock, then I heat embossed gold glitter embossing powder onto the card stock making the different butterflies fly together in the same direction across the card.  This makes it visually pleasing to look at and does not create a sense of chaos.  Sometimes chaos is good, but not in this card :)

The large butterfly was stamped onto white card stock, then die cut out.  I then stamped the top detail stamp onto vellum with VersaMark ink and heat embossed with a gold glitter embossing powder.  I cut that as well, and attached to the white butterfly adding glue only to the parts that would not be seen... (under the body of the butterfly).  I attached the large butterfly with foam tape for dimension.

This panel was then added to another piece of card stock that I had ink blended around the edges for the border of the card. 


A small Enamel Heart was added next to the stamped and heat embossed sentiment.  I popped the sentiment up with foam tape and ran my ink cube around the edges of the sentiment strip to make it stand out against all the white. 

Techniques used:
Adding embossed lines (Clean and Simple Boutique Cards)
Vellum (Simple Die Cutting Techniques)
Gold Embossing Powder (Let it Shine)
Foam Tape (Seasonal Scene Building)
Ink to paper (Irresistible Inking Techniques)

Packaging for "Her"


Here is the packaging for my set of cards for "her".  I used a Stampin Up stamp case for this card (same as the set for 'Him")  I started by wrapping green ribbon around the base to hide any flaws on the container.  I used a hot glue gun for that.  



Then I cut 2 pieces of white card stock to fit the size of the top of the container.  (Both the inside and outside of the lid). I ink blended with Grape Agate and Plum to make the color what I was looking for.  I then stamped the stunning "Real Beauty" flowers following the package placement directions onto white card stock, and cut them out with coordinating dies. 


I used my stamp wheel for easier placement and made both sets of flowers together. 

I then used the small leaf clusters from the set to stamp and heat set onto vellum for the background.  I used a white embossing powder for that because it coordinates with the white butterfly I had used in the card set. 


I was able to attach the vellum with glue because I knew that part would be covered by the envelope.

I then made the envelope and attached it to the vellum with foam tape.  I attached the flowers and leaves using both liquid glue and foam tape to offer different textures to the card.  I heat embossed the sentiment onto the tag and inserted it into the envelope.  Tiny silver dots were added to the tag.  Again, the tag is not attached, so a handwritten note can be included.  


I hope you have enjoyed my cards. They were so much fun to make and I learned so much along the way.

I hope you come back to visit again!  If you do, please leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you :)


































 







 






































Comments

  1. Onalie, you have done a brilliant job in your final challenge for Level 1! Your cards and the color palettes you have chose looks amazing. The attention to detail is fantabulous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment