Easy Die Cutting Techniques for AECP

 Good morning!  Today I am submitting my last class projects for Level 1!  Today's class with Yana Smakula was one of my favorites.  I love learning from her and have been following her for many years.  

Today I will be using dies in many different ways... from regular die cutting to embossing, stenciling, negative use of the cuts, cutting vellum, and more!

Card 1


Should I start again with the fish?

Here I decided an ink smooshed background would look like pond water, so I smooshed different blue inks onto my glass mat, squirted them with water, and then used a piece of clear packaging to crumple up and dip into the ink, then add to my card stock.  I love the textured look it gives.  I probably did this 5 or 6 times to get the look I wanted.

I then used the lily pad dies as embossed images by running them through my machine with the embossing pad.  I used a green gel pen to add the details to the lily pads, as well as a touch of green ink to make them more visible. 



Then I cut each fish twice... once from vellum and once from white card stock.  I added details to the fish using black glitter Stickles (because I do not have the coordinating stamps).  After that dried I cut the white card stock fish to look like the bodies and attached to the velum "tails".  I colored the fish with alcohol markers, and attached to the card base with foam squares for dimension.


Cute... right?

Finishing touch was the heat embossed sentiment and attaching the card stock to a green border, then applying to an A2 size card base. 

Card 2


This card uses the technique of negative die cutting.  First I used three beautiful green inks (Olive, Green Opal, and Green Onyx) to ink blend onto my white card stock.  I love green!!  




Then I used a leaf die from the Altenew Garden Picks 3D Die set to cut out 3 leaves.  (I set those aside for later).  I mounted the negative piece onto a gold card stock, added a sentiment that was heat embossed with black embossing powder, and finished up with some gold dots from my stash of embellishments that were made from the Halftone Cover Die. 


 Easy, but perfect for a guy!

Card 3

This leads directly to the next card where I used those leaves that were cut from the first card, and also embossed with the leaf dies from that same set.


I inked the white card stock with the beautiful Altenew Crisp Dye Inks in Rhodolite and Tanzanite.  They are gorgeous!!


Then I placed the dies where I wanted the embossed leaves.  I taped them into place with washi tape and ran them through my machine using the silicone mat and embossing pad.  I then attached the leaves from the first project to another set of leaves cut from silver card stock, slightly offset to look like a shadow.  They were attached with foam dots for added dimension.  I cut the sentiment from the same silver card stock, and used a piece of scrap paper that I inked with the Tanzanite ink as the border under the sentiment and attached in place with foam dots. 

Again I used dots from the Halftone Cover Plate (this time from silver) and attached with liquid glue.


I do love being able to use as many pieces as possible with no waste! 2 cards in 1!

Card 4

This time the dies were used for stenciling! I used the Halftone Cover Die to create a stencil that was used 3 times in the next 2 cards.


For this card I placed the "stencil" over the white card stock and inked the bottom and top corners with Altenew Fresh Dye Ink Butternut. I cut that panel down to 4 x 5 1/4 inches and attached to a piece of green card stock (which I cut the leaves from) that was cut to 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 inches.  Both were then attached to the A2 size card base.


The flowers were cut from the Altenew Daisy Spray set.  I cut the flowers from white card stock and the leaves from the green that was used as the border...(another great way to have less waste! Nobody will ever know that there are pieces cut from the green card stock!)

The flowers were then ink blended using a small ink blending brush.  I started with butternut, then made a smaller area in the center with Snapdragon, then followed with a smaller area of marigold.  The centers were made with Heart Beat and Ruby Red, and brushed with a glitter pen for sparkle.  Assembling the flowers is so easy! If you have never used the Altenew Layering Die sets you are in for a treat!!  The keyhole system and directions on the packaging make it super easy! 


I finished the card with a stamped sentiment that was attached with foam tape, and some of the dots from the stencil that I had cut from gold card stock. 

Card 5


I used the same stencil for this.  I stenciled with Heart Beat, ruby Red, and Butternut onto yellow card stock, then cut into an oval shape using dies from Stampendous. 


Then I used the stencil (for the third time!) with Altenew Embossing Paste for a textured look on the background.  Some of the red that I had inked with previously came through onto the embossed panel, but I didn't mind the pink...

I used the remaining flower from the previous card, and attached a heat embossed sentiment...

Again... 2 for 1!

Have a great day!  Thanks for stopping by!

This completes my Level 1 classes for AECP
























Comments

Post a Comment