Good morning and welcome back!
Today I am sharing with you the cards I made for the Impressive Heat Embossing class for AECP. I like to use heat embossing on so many of my cards, so this class was a great reminder of the many ways it can be used. Heat embossing requires a sticky ink (I use VersaMark), embossing powder, and a heat tool. (Not a hair dryer!! That would send embossing powder all over the room!!)
For the first card I used not only heat embossing, but a beautiful Altenew Garden Rose 3D embossing folder as well. I ran the folder through my die cutting machine and was left with a beautiful impression on my Neenah Solar White 80 pound card stock.
I very lightly ran over the raised images with my small ink cubes. I used Raspberry Sunset and Razzleberry on the roses, and Mossy Meadow and Green Opal on the leaves. I then used a small blending brush to apply Butternut ink over the roses for a contrasting color. When that was finished I ran the VersaMark ink pad over the entire raised portion and covered it with clear embossing powder and heat set it. Wow!! It's gorgeous! The shine really does not show through in the images, but trust me... it shines!!
There is something so magical about watching that powder melt right before your eyes!
You can see where sometimes I hit the background with the ink pad, so I wanted to hide that a little. I could have hidden it completely if I had colored the background with a black marker, but I didn't want such a dark card, so I used a mango colored alcohol marker to draw around the images to make them pop.
I then used a scrap piece of card stock to make a band for under the sentiment. I ran my inks over the card stock (ink directly to paper) until it was fairly saturated. Then I used the VersaMark ink and clear embossing powder and covered the entire band. I heat set that to see the shine. It wasn't covered completely, so I re-did the process 2 more times with the embossing powder and heat setting. This really makes a nice solid piece to add to the card!
I attached the panel to a yellow piece of card stock from my stash that was slightly larger than the panel, then both were attached to the 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 card base.
I used white embossing powder on black card stock with the Altenew One Go: Birthday Greetings sentiments and cut out the sentiments with the coordinating die. I love making a whole sheet of sentiments at one time!! (I store my extra sentients in a baseball card sleeve in a folder for easy use!)
The sentiment was attached with a foam strip on top of the embossed band for dimension. I did not add embellishments onto this one because there is already so much shine!
For the second card I wanted to use embossing powders for different layers of my layering stamps.
I stamped the first 3 layers with Altenew inks, then the 4th layer I added VersaMark ink and a copper embossing powder.
For the inner part of the flower, I stamped with Butternut ink, then used a glitter gold embossing powder for the stamen. Boy does it sparkle!
Putting the card together required many different techniques...
1. I splattered water onto my background card stock with a wet paintbrush, then applied glitter gold embossing powder on top. I dumped the remaining powder off, then heat set. (Yes! You can also use water to heat emboss!!)
2. I used a wet paintbrush to make a jagged edge down the side of my paper where I wanted a torn look. I like to use the water so that it is easier to tear, and it also tears where I want it to! Wherever it is wet makes it so much easier to go ahead and tear it.
3. I used ink to paper (VersaMark ink) to apply a thick coating to a second piece of card stock all around the edges, with a wider strip on one edge. I used copper embossing powder and heat set that for the background.
4. I attached the splattered panel to the edged panel using foam tape. I like to add the strips of foam tape to the back, then remove only the top edges of the tape until I have the panel exactly where I want it. I fold the edges over so that they stick out from behind the panel. When I have it perfectly placed, I just pull the remaining tape off the back. (You could also use liquid glue on top of the foam tape to give a little wiggle room, but sometimes this is easier)
I added the flower and leaves using foam tape and liquid glue.
Card number 3 was actually from the first lesson. I used the beautiful Bougainvillea stamp set from Altenew.
I stamped twice using my Altenew Stamp Wheel with Mossy Meadow ink. I then heat embossed with VersaMark ink and clear embossing powder. I then swapped out the white card stock and replaced it with a green card stock, then clear embossed that with the stamp still in place on the stamp wheel. (I placed the image onto my card stock, then once I had a good impression, I rotated the card stock to stamp the second image.)
I then cut a frame from the green card stock, and used the negative piece to add directly on top of the white panel with foam tape. I lined up the embossed lines so that they match perfectly, and attached to the card base.
I stamped the sentiment with Mossy Meadows ink, then heat set with clear embossing powder to add to the front of the card.
I added gold glitter dots, then dropped a touch of glossy accents on top to give them a little dimension.
I hope you will give embossing a try! It adds so much to your project!
Have a great day!








Gorgeous work. LOVE that first card!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteHeat embossing never ceases to mesmerize me! Your cards are fantastic, I love the first one, nicely done!
ReplyDeleteThank you so very much! I appreciate you taking a look at my blog, and also for your comment! It means so much!
Delete