Hello, and welcome back!
I have a few cards to share with you using the technique of masking. Masking allows you to stamp without smudging all of the images together. Masking allows you to build your scene showing more images in the foreground and in the background.
Card 1
I used the Build A Flower: Clover set for this card. I have had it for ever, so am happy that I finally was able to put it to good use!
It may not look like I masked a lot... which is true... but I did mask!
I like to use Stick-it notes that are completely sticky on the back. Most have a sticky strip along the top edge, but you can find the ones that are completely sticky on the back, and that is what I like to use for these projects.
I began by making a mask for 2 of the flowers. I stamped the largest images of the flowers onto my sticky note and cut them out.
Tip: While cutting, be sure to cut just on the inside edge of the image so that there is no space between the image and the next one stamped. If you cut on the outside of the image, there will be a space when you stamp the image that you want behind this one.
I stamped the larger (center) flower first. Then I added the mask and stamped the second flower (on the right), and masked that. Then I stamped the third flower and added the stems. I only stamped the first stamp of the set for each at this point. Now I went back and stamped all of the remaining layers on the left flower, removed the mask on the right flower and repeated the layering stamp process on this one. Finally I did the same with the center flower. There is just a tiny amount of overlap where I wanted to keep the flowers separate, so the masking was essential for this.
When I was finished with the flowers I stamped the leaf with the 3 leaves. I stamped all 3 layers, then realized I wanted the other leaf as well, so I masked off the lower leaves and stamped the single leaf "behind" the first. Do you see how the stem is not on top of the first leaf? Any ink that you do not want on your project stays on the mask.
I trimmed the panel down and then worked on the background.
Here I used a diagonal stencil and ink blended Razzleberry and Jazzberry together over the stencil. I didn't like the look of the stark white on the other end, so I used the same 2 inks and blended that corner as well. I added the flower panel to the background using foam tape. The greeting is from the Altenew One Go Solid Sentiment Strips that I heat embossed with white onto black card stock. I added the enamel dots for the finishing touch.
Card 2
This one is so dainty and pretty!
I used Gink K masking paper for this one, but I honestly think the sticky tape works better, so I'm sticking with that!
I cut 2 of the leaf dies from the making paper and applied them to a white card stock. I then used Sky blue ink and inked the entire card. Then I cut 2 more of the leaves and attached them to the card in a different place. (I did not remove my first masks!!) Then I ink blended again, but with Dusk blue for a little bit darker color. When I was finished I removed the masks and as you can see, there are layers of leaves (one white and one very light blue). I then attached vellum leaves, as well as a leaf from an irridescent paper scrap. I used the Sweet Blossoms die set to cut out the coordinating flower and attached that with foam tape over the leaves.
The sentiment was stamped with Dusk ink using my Stamp Wheel so that I could stamp it multiple times for perfect coverage. I (again) used the Halftones Cover Die and cut the remainder of my irridescent card stock into tiny circles to use as the embellishment.
Card 4
This one started as an utter failure! But I changed my technique and now it's lovely!
I started by stamping the large (red) rose in the middle of my white card stock, then I used the stencil mask that came with the set to mask off the rose. I stamped the second rose and the third using the same mask. Then I covered one rose on the side with another stencil mask from the set and stamped the leaves. This is where it went downhill. I think the masks were way too thick to use both at the same time. I did not get a good impression of the leaves near the edges of the roses. But I continued on anyway. When I was finished with the leaves, I tried stamping with the layering stamps, but again the stencil was too thick to get a good impression, so I decided to color with alcohol markers instead! I am glad I did not give up!
You can see where some of the stamping wasn't crisp.
I then fussy cut the entire image out and used a black alcohol marker around the white edges to cover them up. I cut the card base and black card stock on an angle and attached the image with foam tape.
I used alcohol markers on some pearl embellishments that I had in my stash to match the color of the main rose and attached them in the top corner.
The sentiment is from the Altenew One Go Sentiment Strips set. I used white embossing powder and heat it on black card stock.
I'm glad I didn't give up!
Card 4
Again I used masking for this card, but I think maybe I had cut the mask a little too small around the edges, as there is still some overlapping of the flowers.
I stamped and masked the flowers as before. This was my first attempt, so I went easy on myself, but I did use some masking.
After the flowers and leaves were all finished I cut out the panel using a stitched circle die set.
I then used the same flower outline die as I did on the panel and stamped with VersaMark ink in random places on my card stock. I applied pearl embossing powder and heat set the flowers on the background. I attached the black strip with liquid glue, and the circle with foam tape. The sentiment is from the same set from above.













Great work Onalie! Dont forget to share it on the AECP Family and Altenew Fan groups.
ReplyDelete