All About Layering 6: Dies Edition for AECP

Hello! I hope you are having a pleasant day!

I thoroughly enjoyed the class All About Layering 6: Dies Edition with Lydia Evans.  She has so many creative ideas to share, and I would like to expand on that and share some of my own with you.

I have found that the layering dies from Altenew are some of the easiest to work with.  They have a fabulous keyhole system which makes layering so simple.  This class (for me) was more about creative ways to use them once they are assembled.  There are so many ideas!!


My first card features the Craft A Flower: Amaryllis die set.  It is absolutely beautiful!  The embossed details are incredible, and it goes together so easily.


I started by watercoloring my background.  I used different blues and kept swiping from top to bottom to create an ombre look.  Before the water dried, I added a pinch of salt to the panel... wait for it... it turned out pretty cool!


I ink blended with different red inks (I think I may have used 5 or 6 different inks to make the color vibrant enough.)  I blended the lightest color almost to the ends of the petals, and each additional color just went slightly less than the previous color.  This makes the middle a nice, dark color. 


When all the petals were inked, I used my flower maker tool to add some roundness to the petals.  For this one I used the tool on the back side to make the flowers look more dimensional.  Sometimes I do it on the front, which makes the petals curl in a different direction. It totally depends on the look you are going for.


This is a close up look at the key hole system.  I just match up the shapes and numbers on each petal to form a flower.  If there is any question about how they go together, there is always an easy to follow guide on the packaging of each die. 


I like to add the glue to the back side of the petal.  I find that if I add to the top of the inked petal, sometimes the glue gets in the way and it's harder to match up the keyholes.  This works best for me, but do what works for you. 😉


For the small petals on the front of the flower, I popped them up with foam squares.  This is completely optional since there is already so much dimension to these flowers.


Flowers complete!  Aren't they so pretty?


And here is the background all dry.  The salt makes little crystals on the watercolor.  It looks like snow crystals! Unfortunately by the time I finish the card, most of the crystals are covered up, but it's a fun technique!


I splattered the background with white and iridescent sprays, and popped on a frame by Penny Black. I used foam tape around the edges of the frame for more dimension.  Did you know if you remove both sides of the backing from the foam tape it is much easier to form into any shape you need?


I added in a few snowflakes from a Spellbinders snowflake background die to make it look more wintery.  The sentiment was added slightly off center to a second, gold sentiment for interest.


And there you have it!

I have a few more to share... but I forgot to take photos along the way.  I guess I was just having too much fun!


  • I cut a piece of acetate to be 4 1/4 x 6 inches.
  • I scored at 1/2 inch across the top for the hinge of the card.
  • I cut 2 rectangles measuring 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 inches and attached one to the center front of the acetate.
  • I added beautiful leaves from a HoneyBee Stamps die set around the edges, overlapping to add strength to the card base.
  • I secured them with double sided tape... but only where it would not be seen when the card is open.
  • I die cut and colored the beautiful Altenew Elephant Layering Die Set and added them to the panel.
  • I turned the card over, attached the 2nd rectangle to cover the first
  • I covered the leaves using more die cut leaves from the set.  This insures no double sided tape will be seen on the inside.
  • I trimmed off the leaves which hung over the card base.
  • I then attached a third rectangle (same size) inside the card for an area in which to write a note.
  • I attached the white panel to another white panel for stability.


I wish I had step by step photos, but I will do it again for another post 😊


The other one I forgot to take photos of is this beautiful rose shaker card.  If you saw yesterday's post, I shared how I made layering stencils from layering dies.  These were the die cuts left from that project.  I didn't want them to go to waste, so I created another card.

After ink blending the layers, I attached them together with liquid glue.  I also used one of the stencil pieces to stencil the background of the card panel with a light grey ink.
To make the shaker layer, I die cut 2 of the arch die cuts and attached with glue.  I added the acetate sheet with glue, and let dry.  I then added foam tape to the arch. (removing both layers of the adhesive backing allows movement of the tape, making it easier to maneuver the shapes.  I poured a small amount of heart shaped sequins into the area that would be for the shaker, then attached the panel to the arch.  I added the flower and leaves with liquid glue, followed by a sentiment.




This is the card I made creating the stencil... have a look if you missed it!

For the last card I took pics! Yay me!

I used acetate again for this card.  It makes such an interesting front, and so unlike any store bought card.  Am I right?


I scored the 4 1/4 x 6 inch piece of acetate at 5 1/2 inches.


Then I put double sided tape along the backs of 1/4 inch strips of white card stock 


I then attached them to the acetate.  I did the same on the back side to make it look clean and tidy.


Any time I trim my card stock, I add them to my collection so that I have them ready to use for cards like this!


I ink blended all layers of the flowers with different blue and purple inks.


I taped them together and attached with double sided tape.




I then turned the card over and attached the "bottom" layer of the flowers onto the backside to hide the tape.


I added double sided tape to the top of the card panel and attached the acetate flap.


Next I die cut a third flower "bottom" image.  I laid that on top of the inside image, added glue, and closed the card back onto the front to attach the die cut onto the card base in exactly the spot where it will not be seen when the card is closed.


This gives a place to add a small greeting.


I decided to add a greeting, so I used my Stamp Wheel 2 to add the greeting.  I stamped with black ink about 4 times to get the crisp image.  (the greeting is from Altenew "More Than Words" stamp set.



One more...


I used the same design with different flowers to create this card on white card stock rather than acetate.  So sweet... don't you think?


























Comments