I have just completed Level 2 for the AECP! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the classes! I love using all of the techniques, and I can't wait to learn even more.
My assignment was to choose 3 of the classes I have taken to showcase in a set of 4 masculine cards.
The classes I have chosen are:
Color Your Day
Simple Die Cutting
For the Guys
The cards are to represent birthday, anniversary, thinking of you, and encouragement.
Of course I used techniques from other classes as well, but these are the star players.
The first card I made was a Birthday card. I was inspired by the colors in my water pitcher for this card.
In the Color Your Day class we were encouraged to use colors from an image (picture, dress, pajamas, etc) to create a card. I love the colors in this pitcher, so chose this as my inspiration for the card. I also used aspects from For the Guys class. I used geometrical shapes, masculine colors, and a pun for the birthday card.
I apologize in advance for the way my sticky mat looks... it has been well loved and is a bit stained...
I started by stenciling with the Altenew Modern Circles stencil set using green and blue inks.
I cut a border using a Spellbinders die for visual interest across the bottom of the page.
I then attached the sentiment. Ok... this is where I may have lost some of you. You thought I said it was a birthday card. Let me assure you. This is a birthday card for a very good friend who is not at all excited about getting old. (I never had a brother, but if I did it would be Mike. We have even been asked if we were brother and sister on 2 different occasions, so he is as close as I will get to having a real brother.). I thought the "ouch" sentiment would be absolutely perfect for him!! (He is the same guy I made a poop emogi card for when he had a colonoscopy... it's that kind of relationship!!😂😂)
Anyway... when I was finished I also realized that I used the 70-20-10 "rule" in this card without intending to. This "rule" (which in my opinion is often meant to be broken when being an artist!) just claims that 70% of the project would be one color (usually the background), 20% the main focal color, and 10% the pop of color. In this case, 70% blue, 20%red, and 10% green.
Card number 2 also uses the technique of using an image or photo for inspiration. I looked out my window and saw a bird sitting on a branch of newly fallen snow, so wanted to incorporate that into a card.
I may have used poetic license with the colors of the bird, but I wanted to keep the same color scheme going throughout my card set, so I made an adorable colorful bird using the Altenew Sweet Garden Bird Layering Die Set.
I cut all the pieces from white card stock and ink blended them with the inks shown above.
Once pieced together using the easy to follow keyhole system, he looks like he is ready to sing a little tune!
I then ink blended the background and ran it through a snowflake embossing folder to add texture. I ran a white pigment ink pad over the snowflakes to mute the colors.
Now for the branch, I used just the top layer of the branch from the Cherry Blossom Branch Layering Die Set. I ink blended and then added touches of Altenew Embossing Paste to the edges where snow would have landed. Using embossing paste was a technique mentioned in the For the Guys class... there they stenciled with it, but here I added it as a bit of texture to the branch. I added some glitter before it dried for a bit of sparkle.
After attaching the bird and branch to the card stock, I added a touch of Novu drops to his eye and beak. I think it makes it look more realistic with a little sparkle in the eye!
Card 3 I am sticking with the same color scheme, and bringing in some techniques from the Simple Die Cutting class, as well as from For the Guys.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing my cards, and perhaps learning a new technique. Wishing you a great day!
I just received this stencil today, so am taking full advantage of my new toys and using this to make the third card. I have found a new love of stencils from taking these classes. It is a fun and easy way to add details and color for the background.
This is a 2 layer stencil set. I started with layer 1 in the bottom corner, and used both new sets of ink for the card. I taped off the areas where I didn't want to get ink on the card, and ink blended through the stencils.
When I was finished with the stenciling, I die cut a Thinking of You sentiment from the colorful card stock, and another one from a blue ink blended scrap of card stock. I used the inlay technique (from Simple Die Cutting) to replace the sentiment. It's beautiful how smooth it feels when it has all been replaced.
I then realized I forgot to add the layer of Shimmer Relief Paste to the stencil, so I very carefully taped off the edges, and added a pearl shimmer relief to some Forest Fern ink on my glass mat, and added carefully to one row through the stencil. I love the shine this gives!!
I added a few black sequins to the card for added interest. I added them in a triangular fashion to keep the eye moving throughout the card.
And the last card of the set is an encouragement card showcasing techniques I learned from Color Your Day, Simple Die Cutting Techniques, and For the Guys.
I began by stamping direct to paper with my small Altenew inks using a random pattern of blues. (Using geometric patterns is a technique from the For the Guys class). This card follows the 70-20-10 rule I mentioned earlier. (This is the 70%). I then used the Icy Water ink to run along the edges of a slightly larger piece of card stock to make a border. I attached the card panel to the border using liquid adhesive.
I then die cut the Altenew Zero Waste Leaf Pattern Die from white card stock and vellum. (Cutting vellum is a technique from the Simple Die Cutting class). I ink blended the die cuts with greens and Arctic Mountain blue. I inked the back side of the silver vellum with Forest Green and attached with a drop of glue where I would be adding the blue dot. When gluing vellum, be sure to place the glue where it will not show through the vellum. The leaves are the 20% in this case. I also used a foam dot under the blue dots to add dimension without being seen. I stamped the sentiment using Burnt Red as the pop of color (the 10% in this case).
I added Crystal Clear enamel dots to the centers of the blue dots.

























fantastic set of cards, Onalie! Love the bord and "ouch!" lol
ReplyDeleteBIRD!! lol
Delete