Hello! It has been a while since I last posted... not because I haven't been busy, but I just have not added to my blog. I have been trying many new techniques to add to my card making resume. And I finally started my own YouTube channel! (@HandmadebyOnalie)
Today I am sharing the cards I made for the Watercolor 101 class for the Altenew Educator's Certification Program. This was so well taught! Emily Midgett explained many fine details of watercoloring and made it seem like a doable technique. Her explanations were so clear! It was a fantastic class and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to learn watercoloring!
I used different techniques during the making of this card. Mostly I used either wet on dry or wet on wet techniques. With wet on dry I found that I got a more saturated color, while wet on wet makes it a little more subdued.
I found that as a beginner watercolorist, it was easier to keep the paints contained if I first heat embossed the image. (I used the Altenew Peony and Lilac Swag stamp set.) I didn't want a harsh outline, so I stamped with VersaMark ink and heat embossed with a pearl embossing powder. Then I grabbed my new set of Altenew watercolors and set to work.
I don't have a lot of images to show the process, because once I got started I was so focused on the fun I was having! I started by wetting the individual petals, then dropping some watercolor paints onto the wet area. I would blend the color out with a clean, wet paintbrush. If I wanted the area to be darker, I waited for the paint to dry, and went in and added more paint in the designated areas. (Where the shadows would be). This is super easy with the barrier from the embossing. Without the embossing you would have to be careful to not let the petals all blend together into one big mess.
Once the image was finished, I used the same paint colors to add interest to the outside. I used a wet paintbrush, then added the color by just dropping it where I wanted it. Once it was finished, I added extra texture and interest by splattering white and black inks over the image. I added a sentiment, then attached it all to an A2 card base.
The second card used almost the same techniques, but I tried adding a little more shading. I also played more with accent colors to get a different look.
I stamped the Altenew Lenten Grace stamp with black obsidian ink, then covered and heat set with clear embossing powder. Then I began the process of painting the image.
These paint colors are stunning!! I started by adding the paint onto a dry image, then pulled the paint out with a wet paintbrush. I just kept adding more paint where I wanted the colors to be darker. I think I used all of the colors on this pallet... I was having fun experimenting with highlights and shadows.
For the background I used the dark blue close to the image, then pulled it out with a wet brush. I dropped in more colors as needed to add interest.
I added a small black line as a border to make the flowers "pop", and stamped the sentiment with Black Obsidian Ink, followed by heat embossing.
Thanks for stopping by. I need to go play around again with some more watercoloring! Have a great day!
And remember... Send a card not a text😍





Comments
Post a Comment