Creative Coloring with Erum: Advanced Techniques for AECP

 Hello again!  This is the last class I need to take before hosting my own class to become an Altenew Educator! This was a perfect class to end with... it was so fun and full of many new techniques that I have never seen before.  Erum is so incredibly talented and it is obvious that she loves to share her talent with us.  

This class had me a little intimidated at first because it is called "Advanced" techniques.  I read that as having to have advanced skills to take the class, but instead, it is a class to help you advance and see things in a different way.  The techniques themselves are not at all difficult, just different. 

Let me show you what I mean.


For the first lesson, Erum used layering stamps for the foundation of her flower.  I decided to use layering stencils for mine.  But rather than stopping with the stencil, I added detail lines with alcohol markers... both are beautiful, but adding the detail takes it to another level.



I stamped the image with black ink, then stenciled the layers with the layering stencils. Pretty... right?

But adding in the details... oooooh!!!




I began by adding in the alcohol marker detail lines just on the shadow layer of the stencil.  I did this by using different shades of pink and flicking the markers to blend the lines together.  This looks great! I thought I was finished, so I added the clear enamel dots to the center, and stamped the sentiment.

But then I re-watched Erum's lesson, and she used details along the entire petal, so (Holding my breath for fear of ruining the entire thing) I went back with the same markers and added more details. 


Ahhh... release my breath!  It turned out fabulous!  Adding details doesn't need to be scary.  Here you can see all the different levels of the card.  You can keep it at the stenciled look, upgrade to details on only the shadow layers, or go all the way!  

 Which do you prefer?

The next couple cards were fun.  I had definitely never seen this done before, so had to give it a try.  Some worked, others, well, not so much... 


For this I used the Altenew Gilded Rose hot foil plate on watercolor card stock. 


I then used the coordinating stencil (This set comes with 3 different stencils... I only used one) to add Embossing Paste to the image.

Then I added a glitter embossing powder over the paste, and heat set it.  Oh so sparkly!





Once the embossing paste was dry (I used my heat tool to help it out...) I added watercolors onto the top of the image.  The embossing paste re-directs the watercolors mostly onto the areas without the paste. 

I added the 2 pink watercolors from the set to add depth and interest to the flower. 


I also added watercolors around the outside of the image. 

When it was completely dry, I trimmed it down and added it to an A2 card base along with a sentiment. The shine from embossing powder really shines through, and the texture is amazing!



This one does not have the sparkle embossing paste... it is just clear.  I also had to use a white gel pen to draw in the outline image of the flower to make it look like a rose.


For this one I used the same technique (and stencil) to make just the inner part of the rose.  I added the embossing paste to black card stock, followed with gold embossing powder.  (I love to watch it bubble a it melts!!)

I used metallic watercolors to paint the card stock.  Because it is not watercolor card stock, it warped so much! I almost threw it away, but decided to trim it down instead.


UGLY!!

But I trimmed it and added it to gray card stock.  Before adding it, I splattered the gray card stock with black spray, then sprinkled some water droplets onto it and added gold embossing powder. (Did you know you can emboss with water???)
 

I added foam tape to the back of the rose.


I needed a border, so rather than wasting my precious card stock, I cut out frames from the inside to save for later.  I only needed the outer edges of both the gold and the black.


I used leaves that were on my desk already (From the Altenew Clematis layering die set) and inked them up with 2 shades of green ink.  I added them to the card stock, then attached the rose on top.


Not too shabby for one that was headed for the garbage!

And for the last one for this class (although I could keep going!!) I used one of Erum's techniques for watercoloring. (She has so many different ideas!!)



First I stamped and embossed onto water color paper.  Then I used my Alcohol Watercolor Markers to add the color to the image.  I love these watercolors!!!


I kind of copied the colors that Erum used, because I do not normally think to use red and purple together, so wanted to give it a try.  Basically you just scribble with the different colors onto the image, then make them look pretty with a water brush.  I dried between layers and just kept adding different colors until I achieved to look I wanted. I absoutely LOVE the reds and purples together!


Once I finished with the image, I had to do the background to cover up those darn smudges.


I thought a turquoise background would be nice, but then I decided to add a dark purple around the bottom.  Pretty, but still lacking interest...

So out came my handy dandy splatter box.  I didn't want to cover the flowers with splatter, so I covered the image with a tissue while I splattered the rest.  (Gotta use what is handy... am I right?)




I like to use my t-ruler to be sure my sentiments are attached straight.


Now, this is a vibrant card!  Thanks, Erum, for the tips! I need to keep practicing, but you have taken the fear out of watercoloring and encouraged me to use my tools with confidence.

These Altenew Educator Classes have been a game changer for me.  If you are in the AECP, enjoy your classes and good luck to you!!





























Comments